STACK CARLISLE GETS PLANNING PERMISSION
STACK Carlisle is one step closer to opening a new and exciting chapter in leisure in the city, after the scheme today (Friday 24 March) was granted planning permission.
Councillors gave the green light to the plan to create a multi-million pound container village at the site of the former Her Majesty’s Theatre, which will transform part of the Lowther Street Car Park.
And the aim is for work to start immediately, with a view to opening in early 2024.
Danieli Group, which runs highly successful similar schemes in the North East, announced late last year its ambitious plan to use 50 shipping containers to create a complex which will have five bars, 10 street food outlets, a central plaza with a balcony and stage – all covered by a glass framed roof.
Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group, is delighted with today’s decision.
“We are very excited to be moving forward in our plans to bring STACK to Carlisle,” he said.
“We have said from day one that it will not only prove a really welcome boost to the leisure offering in the city but will also help the local economy by attracting more visitors – which will benefit everyone.”
The proposed site is owned by Daniel Johnston (1982) Ltd and Max Connon from the company echoed Neill’s words.
“We are delighted that the city council has approved the scheme. We look forward to bringing STACK to Carlisle. Not only will we have a new venue to shout about, but it will give the local economy a real boost. A great result,” he said.
STACK is continuing on its rapid expansion plan, having recently been given the go ahead for its schemes in Middlesbrough and Bishop Auckland, with Lincoln under construction and Durham in the planning process.
The original STACK in Newcastle is also moving to a new permanent home in the city centre, with is currently also being built and is due to reopen in summer 2024.